Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Thursday, July 8, 2010

A Quick Thanks

You know who you are, but since I'm not sure if you want your personal information on the web, I'll simply say thanks for the card. I'm not sure if you are an RPCV, but if you are, you probably are aware of the 3rd goal of Peace Corps:

3.) To help promote a better understanding of other people on the part of the American people.

I say this so that it may help those who are not familiar with the purpose of Peace Corps. Yes, I am here to help the local people with what they requested to get done. In my case, my nurse requested that I teach about nutrition and pregnancy issues. I am going to utilize my weekly time at the local clinic for that, as well as my English classes. I am also teaching meditation as another health topic.

Beyond that, however, I am making sure that what I write conforms to the 3rd goal, as well. I know that I will be venting; not about the people here, of course, but rather, my misunderstandings of events that occur. By laying out my own imperfections, I can perhaps assist with others who will follow me, and Americans who will come here simply to vacation. What I am trying to say is that I want what I say to show that even though the superficialities of the cultures are different, in truth, we all are very similar. We all seek happiness, and we all wish to avoid suffering.

Again, thanks for the letter, and I hope my observations remain interesting and entertaining.

Namaste,

m.e. graves

No comments: