Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ramadan Challenge: Peace Corps as Stockholm Syndrome

Today, I went to my host family's house to break fast. I was given the impression by my bosses that breaking fast was usually a very energetic time, with large parties in every home that lasts from sundown until sunrise the next day. Fortunately, I live in a quiet town, so I was relieved when I arrived and saw only my host family sitting outside, eating their "Maghrib", or their break fast meal. I walked in and gave them my basket that overflowed with fruits like a cornucopia. I told my host mom, who had seen me earlier that day, that I would come over that evening with fruit. But when she saw the basket, she shouted, "I know you said you had a lot, but that's A LOT." She carried the basket of fruit into the kitchen, and my host dad poured me some tea. I looked into the courtyard and watched as my host brothers wrestled.

"So, you decided to fast, also?" my host father asked.
"Yes," I said, "I want to know how the people here feel."
"Well congratulations. Good for you. Is ____ fasting?"
"Yes, she is, but she's drinking water."
"Then she's not fasting."
"I know, that's what everyone tells her, but she is drinking water for her health."
"And you aren't?" he asked.
"That's right," I replied, "Because I want to really know how everyone here feels. If not drinking water were that much of a health hazard, then Islam would have found a way to change it after all of these centuries."
"This is true." he said.

He leaned over to pour himself another large glass of water. My host brothers drank more water, as well. My host mother returned with trays of soup. I sat there for a moment and stared up into the night sky and watched as Orion chased Taurus. At that point, something strange happened in my mind. I felt I was no longer a visitor, but an actual member of the family. I wasn't speaking to my host father and mother; I was speaking to my father and mother, who were giving me advice. The Rays came over, and I didn't think of him as such; he was simply my uncle. Now, Wikipedia defines "Stockholm Syndrome:

Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express adulation and have positive feelings towards their captors that appear irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims.

"Yunz," my uncle said, "Maneesh?" (which means literally where are you, but is meant as a how are you gesture.
"Da." I replied, to everyone's laughter. (Da simply means here, which means my sarcasm is finally breaking through.)
"So, how are you feeling about fasting?"
"I'm feeling great. Because I'm not drinking water, I have to find different ways to keep myself cool. Like putting a cool towel around my neck when I go outside."
"Yes, we do that," My dad replied, "Also, at night we drink a lot of water and eat fruit."
"Yeah, that's true."
"Yunz," my mom said, "Eat the shebekia."

Imagine a bite-sized funnel cake, covered and filled with honey and sugar, and then covered with little sesame seeds and sugar. You will get a small glimpse into the deliciousness of shebekia.

"Oh God," I said, "I have to learn how to make this."
"Oh Yunz," my mom said, "Ha ha ha."
I looked at her and raised an eyebrow.
"Oh," She said, realizing I was serious, "Sure, one day soon."

Breaking fast with a family is so much different than breaking fast by myself. The fact that we are all looking at the food, and that we know how hungry we all are, while we're in such close proximity, made me feel more connected to them. I wasn't merely a guest - I was finally family. I don't think that would have happened had I chosen to drink during Ramadan. This brings me to:

My Theory of Peace Corps

The purpose of Peace Corps is to encourage the volunteers to assist their communities through the use of an elaborate Stockholm Syndrome. The purpose is to make the volunteer identify with the community and to truly try to see problems through the eyes of the community, and not just as a volunteer. For instance, I think that by fasting just as they are, it helps me identify better with them. Because for things like health, I have to think of ways to keep myself healthy without resorting to drinking water and I come up with things like dipping towels in water while I'm working dipping hats in water; things like that.

But if I get back to America and have a craving for a couscous with a sheep's stomach lining, I will not be opposed to an involuntary psychiatric assessment, because that's messed up.

No comments: