Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Monday, September 6, 2010

Ramadan Challenge: Technical Difficulties

For the past few days, the internet has not worked at my site. At first, I was worried that the cause was due to my computer somehow erasing the memory of the password on the modem that I had bought from a previous volunteer. For those who know me, you undoubtedly guessed correctly that the first thing that I did when I received the password on the small slip of paper was to throw it away as soon as I entered it into my computer. Of course, when my modem stopped working, I had assumed that some karmic seed had come to fruition, and my next course of action that would determine my future karma would be to: 1.) Go into town and buy another modem, 2.) Take my computer into town with me and test the modem in another place, or 3.) Throw my modem across my bedroom and stomp around in a comical manner in front of my open windows for the neighborhood kids to see.

Fortunately, both for my karmic bank account and my Moroccan bank account, I chose option two. I went into Er Rachidia and tested my modem at the bus station, where Buddha be praised it worked. This realization carried within it good news, great news, bad news, and worse news. The good news is that there is no problem with my modem. The great news was that I did not have to spend hundreds of dirhams, both on a new modem and purchasing the month of service on said new modem. The bad news was that it meant the problem was with my own site, which is something out of my control. The worse news is that because it is Ramadan, I can probably expect it to be fixed in about another week. Had the problem been my modem, I would have had to buy a new one due to the fact that the previous modem is under a contract in the previous volunteer’s name. I’m sure that everything will work out well in the end.

No comments: