Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Open Minds Result in Open Hearts

I try not to focus too much on American news anymore, for a few reasons. I have access to international news organizations, (I apparently had no idea what objectivity meant until I looked outside of America for my news needs; niether do American news outlets.) American "news" is lacking in substantive reporting as compared to other news organizations around the world, (but if I want to learn any insipid and vacuous information on Sarah Palin or any other pop princess, I know where to turn.) And according to American news organizations, Muslims are categorically incapable of doing anything good at any time ever, unless it is to convert to Christianity and condemn Islam on a whole.

Living here with Muslims in Morocco is what made me really notice the third issue. I do not miss American news outlets, so I feel no need to ever turn to them to reconfirm my observations.

I was sitting in the bus station in Casablanca, waiting to go home, when a young Moroccan teenager sat next to me. He was learning English so that he could study engineering in America. He was applying for scholarships from both countries so that he could go to school, learn, and then return so that he could help his country become a better place for all of its citizens. I asked where he wanted to study. He told me that he didn't want to go to a small place because he was scared of Americans.

"They burn Korans over there. I do't know why. I didn't do anything to them." he said.
"Some Americans burned Korans, or tried to." I replied, "But a lot of people that are in our generation understand that we are all connected and that we all have a shared responsibility to each other."
"I see that," the young man said, "The generation before us... is very scared of something. But I don't undrstand it."
"Me neither."
"So," he asked, "Are you Christian?"
"No, I'm a Buddhist."
"Really? I've never met a Buddhist."

I explained some of the concepts of Budhism to him, and he explained the concepts of the five pillars of Islam. I told him about the four noble truths, and he told me about Mohammad's divine revelation. Throughout the entire exchange, we both felt a muntual respect for one another. We both knew that we weren't there to convert the other person, but to share a piece of ourselves with each other. It was a beautiful experience. But I have noticed that Muslims here are genuinely curious and interested in other religions. They seem to thirst for knowledge of things outside of their own world. At least, the ones I have met. Then again, it could be that I have an unthreatening demeanor to myself, and so they feel more open to discuss these things with me. Either way, I find that when I go into a conversation with an open mind, then the other person in the dialogue will respond with an open heart.

2 comments:

Jos Clifford said...

You explain things so well. You are a great ambassador.

Megan said...

what a beautiful story. I only wish that there were more truly open minded people all over this world actually SHARING their views and experiences, I think it would change our world for the better. I think that there are extremists in every country, as evidence of the news your friend at the airport had heard of the Koran attempted burning and the incredibly shallow reports of violence and terrorism that we receive in the United States..... no matter where you live, you rarely hear about the good things that happen in the places where the older generations are afraid of each other. This is a HUGE disservice to all citizens in all countries! Your friend I'm sure had NO knowledge of the AMERICAN people who more silently fought to not allow the burning of his Holy book to happen in our country, just as we in the US hear very little of Muslim's or Iranian's or Afghanistan's citizens every working to create a peace between their countries and the US or its citizens. Lack of knowledge and information is a very dangerous thing I think that many of us have forgotten that ignorance is NOT bliss!