Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Eve Pt. 1: The Camel

The story begins, as all great stories do, in the middle of the Sahara Desert on top of a camel named Princess Valencia Carmina.

A group of volunteers decided to spend the night in the desert for New Year’s Eve so that we could, on top of our experiences so far, have a memory that would follow us throughout our lifetime. I should have realized that something was wrong with Princess Valencia Carmina when she began to stumble right away. I couldn’t help but notice that the other volunteers’ camels all had a majestic look to them. I looked down at mine and saw the drool that formed along her mouth, the patches of fur in random places due to either genetics or illness, and a look in her eyes that made me wonder whether she had all of her mental faculties.

One by one, the camels stood up to begin the trek into the desert. Princess Valencia Carmina, unable to recognize that the sudden growth on her back was, in fact, a human being, lurched forward, causing me to yelp out to my fellow volunteers. Throughout the two hour trek into the desert, I realized that my saddle continually slid forward, which was odd since she had that large hump to keep it on straight. Needless to say, I ended up at the desert campsite with a distinct swagger.

The campsite lie in the shadow of a large dune; it was a series of tents held together by blankets and rope.

“This is similar to the Moroccan houses,” Princess Leia said, “except made of canvas instead of cement. Each tent would be where a family slept.”

I had no choice but to agree with her. In my site, most families have their own homes and at most are connected by one wall. I nodded and fell down onto a small blanket with the other volunteers and closed my eyes so that I could settle my stomach that was still queasy from the four by four drive across the bumpy roads and the ride on the motor skilless camel.

Before falling asleep, I decided to look at my phone to set an alarm. That was when I noticed that I had no bars on it. In hind site, I should have expected this. I felt bad, though, because I had promised David that I would call him to wish him a happy new year. Now I couldn’t even explain to him that I wouldn’t be able to.

A little while later, I heard a commotion near me. It was the other volunteers.

“Come on, let’s go climb that dune.”

I lifted my hood, turned my head, and looked at the dune next to the campsite. What the heck, I decided, how hard can it be?

Continue to Part 2

No comments: