Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Sunday, April 4, 2010

An Update

Okay, so this is not necessarily a lesson learning post; rather, it is more of an update sort of post. We have just finished an interview to determine at which site we are going to be assigned. I think my interview went well. He asked if I had any ideals for consideration to my site. Most of the sites have electricity and water, and so I will be able to keep up with my dear readers, (few though they may be) and take the jump drive every other week. I think it will be the day I go to the Hammam, as well, and maybe that will be the time that I go and buy some food, too.

Some interesting things that I have learned about myself:
1.) I did not realize how easy it is to go a week without bathing.
2.) I really can have hot tea at any time during the day.
3.) There really is a lot of time in a day.
4.) Toilet paper, like showers, are a luxury, not a necessity.

Apparently, everything in nature wants me dead. My allergies, while bad at home, are severe here. I mean like eyes swelling shut, nose ceasing to function, and throat shrinking to the size of a pea. Luckily, I have been given a 24 hour non-drowsy antihistamine, so hooray.

I love so much about Morocco, but the strange thing is how similar everyone is to people in America. There really isn’t that much to talk about right now. I bet when I get to my site, though, I will be able to write much more about the differences, although I am beginning to see that no matter what differences I see, the people are going to be the same.

On another note, though I haven’t had much time, my book is finally almost finished. We are about to get to the final battle scene, and then that’s about it. I have been told that I will have a lot of time to myself when I get to my own site, and so I may even begin to work on the second book while I’m here. In my mind, I already have it set out as a trilogy, along with a side story that I can write later, as well as a collection of poetry from one of the “bards” that I will have in the second book. I think when I get back I will try to be a professional writer. I could see myself in California or Oregon if that happens. It is sort of just a dream right now, but form what other volunteers tell me, I would really love living in Northern CA or Oregon near Portland. They say it fits my personality.

I miss you all so much. One month down, 25 to go.

No comments: