Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Right Speech

The Buddha taught us that the way to avoid suffering and learn compassionate detachment is to follow the Eightfold Path. One part of the Eightfold Path is Right Speech, which entails instructions against gossip, lying, and idle talk. Basically, the ideal man speaks only what is necessary when it is necessary. I must admit that this is sometimes very difficult for me to follow.

I bring this up not because I have finally perfected this, but because I seem to have found a way to help with this. I have discovered that by having to learn another language, being in this small village by myself, with people whose English is limited, I am forced to learn the basics of Tamazight - I do not have the time as of yet to learn the frivolous parts of the language. By doing this, I have found that I am beginning to follow this part of the Eightfold Path. It feels good, to know that the words that I say have purpose, to know that what I say is always something that must be met with action, rather than idle chatter.

Now all that I have to do is learn how to do it in English.

No comments: