Better than a thousand useless words is one word that gives peace.
~Buddha

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Why Do I Do This To Myself?

I was working on my presentation for my community analysis yesterday. As dusk began to settle, I took the earbuds off for a moment. I had been listening to a newly downloaded soundtrack of Silent Hill Homecoming. I enjoy ambient music while I work, but I understand that maybe the music of the horror survival genre isn't exactly meant for normal everyday use.

The family had gone out for the afternoon while I worked, as they usually do, and I had the house to myself. The first sound that I heard was that of a low rumbling beyond the mountains. I tried to think of when the last time was that I heard a plane come into the Er Rachidia airport. Unable to recall, I decided to go outside, when I saw this.
I watched for a moment, as the strange rumblings seemed to continue with the creeping edges of the fog that made their way down the mountainside like enormous white snakes. The mountains slowly dissolved into the fog, rounding out the edges until they became one amorphous entity. Behind me, the rumblings continued, and I wondered how the sounds of the plane were coming from an area when the airport is in another direction and there are no larger cities that I could recall that would allow me to place an origination for the sound of the plane to come from that direction.

As the fog continued to devour the mountainside, I watched as fog lights began to blink on, hazy at first but then they glowed brightly like yellow eyes in the coming night. The wind began to call out from the valley, the mountainsides forming a perfect empty vessel for the echoes of the wind. And then I heard the sound of children laughing. It wasn't a playful laughing of children enjoying life, it was the maniacal laughter of children who had just gotten away with something they knew was terribly, terribly wrong. Figures emerged from the fog like little black shadows, and I took a few steps back to run to the bathroom.

The light flickered for a moment of two, making my shadow appear and disappear a few times before finally the light remained on. The rumblings continued outside and I pressed the door closed as best I could. The spiders hovered above me, their legs dangling back and forth like black fronds. The frogs that had decided to hide in here appeared even more mutated than usual, their skin glowed an almost toxic green and their eyes looked as though they were trying to pop out of their heads. I decided it best to be as quick as possible in this room.

I started to go back into the house where some of the family members had come in for the night. By this time the street had been completely devoured, but two white lights made their way through the fog and towards the house. I watched as the same taxi from my dream the night before emerged, the flaking yellow paint revealing rust across the edges of the doors. From my room, where I had my computer music set to random, I heard the Theme From a Summer Place, the song that featured prominently in Stephen King's adaptation of Rose Red.

***
I think for the next few days I'm going to just listen to peaceful music and meditation music. Yeah...


No comments: